Lanercost Farm - Story so far
Our aim is for the farm to operate with full transparency, sharing what is being planned on the farm, and what is being achieved and why. This is the story of the Lanercost Farm and what we have achieved till date.
An early focus was understanding the natural resources and associated constraints of the farm.
We collected information to better understand the soil, we have identified the risks and opportunities associated with the underlying natural resources through a Farm Environment Plan (FEP); and we have used Farmax to model different stocking and farm management scenarios.
Comprehensive Business Plan
A comprehensive farm business plan was built using this information, aiming to optimise profits within environmental best practice and working within the natural limitations of the land.
The timeline of all the activities undertaken by Future Farms to identify, secure and get our first future farm operational
Managers farm report
Lanercost farm report for the fortnight ending 25 August 2019
August 2019 Farm Report
B+LNZ have documented key lessons learnt during the lease negotiation process to provide insights for farmers considering entering a lease agreement.
Managers farm report
Lanercost farm report for the fortnight ending 14 July 2019.
Establishing visibility of activity
B+LNZ employed a Future Farm Insights Manager with communication of farm performance being one of the priorities. The team are working hard to improve the website functionality, intergrate FarmIQ and setup performance monitoring to plan.
Sheep genetics plan
AbacusBio developed a proposed genetic plan to identify breeders to approach for ram selection. The key objective of this was to firstly identify the key performance traits being targeted by the farm, then search using publicly available tools (B+LNZ SIL on line ram search tools), and then identify the ram breeders who had available stock for sale, in the quantity needed and at the appropriate performance level.
Genetics Discussion Document
Fertiliser recommendations made
AgKnowledge assessed the current nutrient status, soil fertility and provided advice on the fertiliser requirements for the next 12 months.
Mapping of Lanercost
AgriMagic completed an environmental mapping exercise of the property.
Environment plan maps
Farm safety management system implemented
A Farm Safety Management System (FSMS) was developed in collaboration with B+LNZ specialist, Exigent Risk Management and the North Canterbury Future Farm Team. In developing and implementing the system, the following process was followed:
- Review of existing Future Farm safety documentation to identify what was currently in place and its level of compliance with the Health and Safety at Work Act (2015).
- The team visited the property to meet key staff members and better understand the property, including key safety risks specific to it. This included aspects such as stock policy, infrastructure, terrain, chemical use and staffing. Key to this visit was active engagement with the staff to ensure that any changes to the existing system were going to be appropriate and effective.
- A revised safety management system was developed for the property based on the B+LNZ Farm Safety Management System. Attention was paid to Hazard substances compliance, with some key changes made to ensure that the hazardous substances were being handled safely. These changes were checked with Worksafe to ensure technical accuracy. The revised documentation, along with explanatory notes, was then provided to North Canterbury Future Staff for implementation.
- Support was provided to Future Farm management and staff in implementing the system, and being on call if required
- B+LNZ then conducted a follow up visit to Future Farm to ensure that the new system had been correctly implemented and was being followed.
- B+LNZ and North Canterbury Future Farm touch base regularly through the year to make sure the Farm Safety Management System is fit for purpose and practical to meet the farm’s requirements.
Environmental checks completed
B+LNZ’s Environment team completed an environmental audit on the property.
Environmental audit report
Due diligence undertaken
B+LNZ Limited asked a local farm consulting business to complete a due diligence on the desired property. This report includes financial reporting, to allow a farm systems model to be developed.
Lanercost Due Diligence
Farmers participated in FutureFarm selection
A workshop was held in Wellington, where the final two properties were presented to a Steering Group. Steering Group participants included farmers from Manawatu, Gisborne, Otago, Mid-Canterbury, Marlborough, Southland, along with farm consultants, a farm accountant, and a vet. Please note identifying commentary about the second property has been removed from this report.
Future Farms workshop
Independent evaluation by AbacusBio carried out
After reviewing all expression of interests, the final two properties were analysed in this report by AbacusBio. Please note identifying commentary about the second property have been removed from this report.
Future Farm property evaluation report
Expressions of interest registered
B+LNZ sent out a media release, and expressions of interest were received.